Re: Strange Apache logs - maybe DDOS?

From: Axel Beckert (abeat_private-sb.de)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 23:37:42 PST

    Hi!

    We had the same problem, too, on a box hanging on a ADSL line. It took
    us about 7h to find out...

    Christian Schwede <cschwede@delphi-gmbh.de> wrote at Nov 15 2002 9:31AM:
    > I have a little problem with our apache server. This is
    > what my logs show me:
    >
    > [CLIENT_IP_ADDR] - - [13/Nov/2002:12:39:28 +0100] "\xe3I" 501 -
    > [...]

    a) Nearly all requesting IPs were dial-up systems (regarding to whois
       and host names). They came mainly from Europe whereas Germany was
       the biggest bunch.

    b) They showed up for exactly 24h. They started after we got a new IP
       and ended when we got a new IP. Neither before nor after that, we
       noticed such traffic.

    c) We spent a lot of time at Google. Ever heard of that ubiquitous HP
       XE3 Omnibook?

    d) We were wasting a lot of time thinking about unicode, buffer
       overflows, backdoors, etc.

    e) On the Apache Users Germany (remember that most IPs were from
       Germany) mailinglist we found the following posting and reply:

       http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users-de&m=104054617332113&w=2

       There is mentioned an URL where you can get a tcpdump from the
       causing traffic. (We weren't logged in when it happened, so we were
       glad about finding a complete tcpdump on the web.) Analysing it
       with 'strings' quickly reveals that the traffic seems only caused
       by clients of a peer-to-peer network:

    	emule.dyndns.org
    	emule.dyndns.org 0
    	hubi [emule.de]
    	eMule v0.23b [Tar
    	anti[emule.de]
    	http://emule-proj
    	Der Dude[emule.de

       emule is a popular edonkey client.

    f) http://hitech.dk/donkeyprotocol.html confirms, that each edonkey
       packet starts with 0xE3 (search for "packet format") and a long int
       following denoting the packet length. The characters we found
       after \xe3 were only one byte values ranging from about 60 to 100.
       We suspect the remaining bytes were NULL, so Apache (or whichever
       web server runs on port 80) regards the third byte as end of input,
       answers to it with either 501, 405 or--if PHP4 is installed--with
       200 OK and the home page. (See http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=19113
       regarding this issue...)

    g) It's now about 8am localtime. We'll now go home, sleeping well and
       knowning that there was no DDoS nor exploit and that P2P file
       sharing on port 80 is evil. ;-)

    		Regards, Axel and Bruno.
    --
    /~\                                   | Axel Beckert
    \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign            |