Re: strange attacks - flood udp packets from 1030 to msql

From: Eric Nelson (enat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 15:01:10 PST

    On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 03:51:59AM -0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
    > The subject says it.
    > Strange behaviour and no clue here why.
    > A server floods random (??) IP-addresses with udp-packets from iad1 to
    > 1434 (msql), overflowing the external router,yadayadayada. DoS, in
    > short.
    > Anyone seen this before ??
    >
    > Uwe

    > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

    Yes, our colocation facility was severely crippled by this worm from
    about 8pm Friday, the 24th until about 2pm today (PST).

    You can see here on the mrtg graphs the extent of the congestion it
    caused.

    http://oak-mrtg.inreach.com/oak/colo/005/209.209.25.185.4.html

    I could login to my machines there, but I couldn't run any commands
    whatsoever from them. A simple ps -fe would hang the session.

    --
    Eric Nelson	<enat_private>	GPG-key: C4AB5707
    http://www.megahosted.com/~en/