MSDE contained in...

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 20:12:29 PST

    Chalk this all up to "things I wish I didn't know":  I've been amused and
    skeptical at the list of applications people have claimed include MSDE,
    that are therefore vulnerable to SQL Slammer.  In particular, I had a hard
    time believing that Visio used it.  Heck, I've got Visio, and I'm pretty
    sure it doesn't open any network connections.

    So I prowled around the Web, and found this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/visio/Visio2002/maintain/vis_msde.asp

    MSDE is integrated with these Microsoft applications:

    Microsoft Visio 2000 Enterprise Edition AutoDiscovery & Layout (AD&L)
    solution
    AD&L solution from Microsoft Visio Enterprise Network Tools 2002
    Microsoft SharePoint Team Services (a Microsoft FrontPage Server
    Extensions 2002 companion product)
    Microsoft Project Central (a Microsoft Project 2000 companion product)
    Microsoft Application Center

    The following products ship MSDE on their product CD and can use MSDE as a
    database:

    Microsoft Access
    Microsoft Office 2000
    Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

    --> Bleh.  I stand corrected.

    tbird

    --
    I, on the other hand, do not work. I enjoy the slothful life of an artist,
    and while away the hours in meaningless aesthetic pursuits punctuated by

    http://www.shmoo.com/~tbird
    Log Analysis http://www.loganalysis.org
    VPN http://vpn.shmoo.com