RE: MSDE contained in...

From: Bojan Zdrnja (Bojan.Zdrnjaat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 00:25:55 PST

    That's true, but, my question is -> what does Visio, Access and Visual
    Studio use MSDE for ?
    These tools use it for some local data storage. This means that they don't
    listen for incoming connections and therefore are safe against
    W32/SQLSlammer (otherwise, I think it would have caused much much more
    damange). Quick nmap on machine with some of these tools installed will
    reveal this.

    Now, as we all typically use MS' update services for Office, will they patch
    MSDE as well ?

    Best regards,

    Bojan Zdrnja