Re: Packet from port 80 with spoofed microsoft.com ip

From: Thiago Conde Figueiró (thiago.figueiroat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 09:12:01 PST

    On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:46:53 +1100
    Michael Rowe <mroweat_private> wrote:

    MR> I received a packet on my cable modem today, allegedly from
    MR> microsoft.com:
    (snip)

    MR> $ host 207.46.249.190
    MR> Name: www.domestic.microsoft.com
    MR> Address: 207.46.249.190
    MR> Aliases: microsoft.com microsoft.net www.us.microsoft.com

    	One should not trust reverse DNS for identification.  The
    administrator for 249.46.207.in-addr.arpa could spoof that response.

    	I'm not saying the packet didn't come from there, as I didn't bother
    checking.  But that verification should be done with the proper
    authority (whois @internic.net, perhaps?).

    MR> Is this some sort of known "attack"? Or just random weiredness?

    	I see no known pattern, but that could be explained, as you said, by
    several random activities.  For example, someone could have spoofed a
    SYN with your IP as source.  Let's see what other people have to say. :)

    Regards,

    --
    Thiago Figueiró
    Infraestrutura

    disclaimer: the opinions in this message are my own and do not represent
    my employer's view.