Re: Packet from port 80 with spoofed microsoft.com ip

From: Michael Rowe (mroweat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 03:19:25 PST

    On 03/01/29 12:01 -0800, H C wrote:
    > How does an ACK packet constitute an "attack"?

    Yes, I was using the term loosely...

    > Did you run netstat on your system to view the states
    > of connections on that system?

    I wasn't at home at the time, so no. But I'm pretty sure none of my
    linux machines would be autonomously opening connections to
    microsoft.com... :)

    > How did you determine that the packet had been
    > spoofed?

    Pure speculation!

    --
    Michael Rowe <mroweat_private>

    IM  - mroweat_private                Prof - ACM, IEEE, Computer Soc.
    Web - http://www.mojain.com/          Vice - Barley malt, brewed or
    Key - http://mojain.com/keys/mrowe.asc       distilled (hold the ice)