Re: Packet from port 80 with spoofed microsoft.com ip

From: Kurt Seifried (btat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 11:34:56 PST

    It's great to see a high level of professionalism here. Seeral explanations
    come to mind:

    One of Microsoft's broken load balancers is back at work. These things were
    infamous for sending packets hours and even days after you ran
    windowsupdate.

    You did create an outgoing connection, but you weren't at home? How can this
    be. Perhaps you sent or received email. Or someone spoofed your IP address
    while attacking Microsoft. Or someone spoofed Microsoft. Or it's a badly
    configured nmap attempt.

    Seriously, who cares, it's an ACK packet. If I complained about every
    spurious "attack" my systems recieved, with only 10 seconds needed to fully
    respond to each attack (investigate, research, prepare a summary and email
    it to the right people) I'd have to hire a small army of Rhesus monkeys, as
    well as 4 guys to clean out their cages.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://seifried.org/security/