RE: DoS Attacks, Detecting the Source, and Service Providers

From: Rob Shein (shotenat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 10:56:13 PST

    It is not a requirement, unless for some reason it's in their terms of
    service.  That said, I've never seen a ToS from an ISP that involved
    backtracing a DoS.  Detecting the source, in the event that it involves
    spoofed packets (as they almost always do), requires backtracing.  If the
    DoS is traffic-intensive, it may be coming from more than one source as
    well, and there is no reliable way to determine this without backtracing
    either.