Re: email address probes

From: Greg A. Woods (woodsat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 15:04:44 PST

    [ On Wednesday, February 5, 2003 at 20:54:19 (+0000), Andy Bastien wrote: ]
    > Subject: email address probes
    >
    > I'd like to be able to stop these attempts, but I can't think of a way
    > to do it.

    If there's no local user for the "attempt" then the most correct way,
    and I suppose best and only proper way, to answer the invalid "RCPT TO:"
    is indeed with just a plain simple "550 User unknown" (or "550-5.1.1
    User unknown" if your server supports ESMTP ESN).

    If the connections come fast and furious from the same remote server
    then you can introduce a delay before you send your reject reply status
    code, or even send a "550-User unknown" line, then pause for up to a
    minute or two, and finally a "550 Thanks for trying!" line.  Some people
    call this scheme a "tar pit" -- it slows down a rabid sender because it
    forces it to wait for the last line of the multi-line 550 message.

    --
    								Greg A. Woods

    +1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woodsat_private>;           <woodsat_private>
    Planix, Inc. <woodsat_private>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woodsat_private>