RE: email address probes

From: Johann Kruse (foonat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 16:08:44 PST

    Here's one option...

    http://www.albury.net.au/netstatus/derouted.html

    As part of our on-going anti-spam policy, we now temporarily de-route
    (ie, refuse to communicate with) IP addresses who have recently been
    attempting to send mail to users who do not exist on our service, an
    excessive number of times within an hour.

    Experience has shown that these are generally "probes" from spammers, or
    are actually part of a spamming run. It is our aim to detect these
    within a second or two, and automatically block the source.

    In order to minimise collateral damage (ie, refusing mail from
    legitimate sources), we deliberately do not send back any sort of
    failure notice (which may lead the other end to bounce or return the
    mail), instead we simply refuse to talk to the sending site for a period
    of time. Legitimate sources will queue the mail and try again later, at
    which time our system will have resumed listening, and will accept the
    mail.