Re: Identity theft scam against eBay users

From: Patrick Bryant (piat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 17:29:43 PST

    The text in the "hook" email in my incident is slightly different. I'm including it below. Note subtle grammical errors in the text.

    I've been trying to advise eBay all day, since it's their name that's being exploited, but all of my calls and emails have fallen into a blackhole.

    It now appears that the attackers are playing a shell game with the redirector site. Even though the site that receives the victim's post (bayers.netfirms.com) has been shut down, now the attackers are redirecting
    to at least one different site for receiving the posts.

    Here's the text that initiated my team's involvement:

    Dear eBay User,
    During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we couldn't verify your current information. Either your
    information has changed or it is incomplete.
    Please update and verify your information by signing in your account below :
    If the account information is not updated to current information within 5 days then, your access to bid or buy on
    eBay will be restricted.
    go to this link below: