RE: ftp server compromised

From: Mark E. Donaldson (markeeat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 18:31:48 PST

    IIS FTP compromise is actually quite a common and frequent problem.  You
    basically have three problems to deal with here:

    1) Until you pull the network connection wire, you will make no progress.
    That is step one.

    2) These files and directories are normally not easy to delete.  You will
    see some advice and references that state they can be successfully removed
    with "POSIX Compliant Tools".  And yes, sometimes they are successful.
    However, I recommend you put the money out and buy a copy of WinHex.  It
    will never fail.  Follow these instructions: "Search for all occurrences of
    the filenames you need to dispose of using Search | Find Text, in Unicode,
    and replace all of them with any other filename.  Schedule CHKDSK to run on
    that partition at next reboot.  Reboot the machine.  CHKDSK will then delete
    the files and restore the disk space back to free space.

    3) Chances of identifying and eliminating all the hacked files is very slim
    at this point in time is very slim.  Consider reformatting and re-installing
    from last know good (uncompromised) backup.

    Good luck.  This is a tough spot to be in.