Re: ICMP Destination Unreachable, Administratively Prohibited

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 15:38:32 PST

    On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 11:35, Neil Dickey wrote:

    > My questions are these:  Does anyone know what sort of probe is being used?
    > Is this in fact a probe of our site, or just backsplash from a scan of another
    > site using our IPs as spoofed source addresses?  Is it something else I
    > haven't thought of?

    In my experience most Dst URs are the result of DOS attacks by third
    parties who have use forged sources addresses (some being yours).  The
    result is that someone blocks the traffic at a router somewhere and
    unless they think to disable URs they spray out all over the net.

    "It aint necessarily so"  - Gershwin