Re: ICMP Destination Unreachable, Administratively Prohibited

From: Anders Thulin (Anders.Thulinat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 23:12:18 PST

    Neil Dickey wrote:

    > My questions are these:  Does anyone know what sort of probe is being used?

       The other replies have covered the probably 'spoofed source address' solution.

       If you can get your hands on one of these packets and examine its contents,
    you can see the IP header of the packet that produced the response, as part
    of the ICMP packet body. If the spoofing explanation is correct and complete,
    that src address of that returned header should be one of your addresses.

       Strictly speaking, you should also be able to see all successful responses
    to the presumed probes. If you're behind a firewall, they may get filtered
    away, though, as there are no sessions that matches them, but you might be able
    to find corroborating evidence in the firewall logs.

    --
    Anders Thulin   anders.thulinat_private   040-661 50 63
    Ki Consulting AB, Box 85, SE-201 20 Malmö, Sweden