Scans on TCP port 135

From: Kevin Patz (jambo_catat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 13:12:04 PST

    Starting in late October 2002, I've been seeing
    occasional scans on TCP port 135 on my box.  I also
    see UDP scans on this port, and I know these are
    Windows Messenger spam attempts, but I am wondering
    what the TCP scans are for.

    Could they be attempting to exploit
    this: "Vulnerability: RPC Service DoS (port 135/tcp)
    on Windows 2000 SP3" which I read about here:

    http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/296114

    Is it this, or could it be something else?  Is it
    possible to send Messenger spam via TCP/135?

      KJP

    Do you know the base address of the Global Offset Table (GOT) on a Solaris 8
    box?
    CORE IMPACT does.
    www.securityfocus.com/core