Remote Access Software (Wireless Devices)

From: Holstein, Michael (mholsteinat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 10:00:00 PST

    As many of you are aware, several vendors (notably SprintPCS) make software available that permits access to corporate email and files from a wireless device.

    It does this by connecting via SSL to an external server, then keeping the connection open with keepalives. This is a novel way to defeat a corporate firewall (a tactic also used by other security "holes" like GoToMyPC).

    Understandably this is NOT a "cool idea" from a network security perspective, and I would very much like to block all of it.

    Vendors are no help in this matter -- I have installed the SprintPCS software and sniffed the connection, identifying "bpce.sprintpcs.com" as the server. Has anyone else done this for the other vendors?

    I would like to compile a list of destination names/addresses for each vendor so those who choose to close the holes for their network may do so with minimal effort.

    Any contributions would be appreciated.

    <Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
    Take back your personal time.
    15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
    <A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure"> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>