SMTP username dictionary attack

From: Rich Puhek (rpuhekat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 10:41:43 PST

    We recently (last night) saw an interesting variation of an SMTP
    dictionary attack. I'm reporting it here for two unique characteristics:

    1) It was a temporary DOS against the victim server (despite SMTP RCPT
    throttling). It appeared that the initial connection was sending a huge
    volume of addresses in a single RCPT, and was aggressively initiating
    more RCPT connections. The connection rate throttle did trigger, but the
    sheer volume of bad recipients appeared to mean it was too late.

    2) Rather than a traditional dictionary attack, a brute-force attack was
    used, starting with two-letter usernames, then moving on to three-letter
    names. Some combinations appeared to be missing, but basicly it was
    progressing though all alphabetic combinations. Interestingly, the "most
    significant letter" if you will appeared to be the rightmost, as in:
    aa
    ba
    ca
    da
    ab
    bb
    cb
    wz
    xz
    yz
    baa
    caa
    daa
    eaa

    They made it all the way to "xcfha" before I intervened.

    Source machine appears to be an AT&T cable modem. Appropriate AT&T
    contacts have been listed. Woke me up in the middle of the night, so I
    didn't spend much time in analysis, I just started dropping SMTP from
    that machine at the border.

    As an off-topic idea... if this becomes common, it would be awfully fun
    to poison their spamlist by pretending all of the addresses were valid :-).

    --Rich

    Rich Puhek
    ETN Systems Inc.
    2125 1st Ave East
    Hibbing MN 55746

    tel:   218.262.1130
    email: rpuhekat_private

    <Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
    Take back your personal time.
    15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
    <A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure"> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>