RE: CodeRed Observations.

From: Rob McCauley (robmccauat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 10:35:57 PST

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Rob Shein wrote:

    > I'd be careful and make sure, if I were you.  I don't think that the worm is
    > stateless, as it wouldn't be able to spread if it just sent data over TCP
    > without establishing the handshake first.  When you just PSH without
    > handshaking first, your data gets rejected.

    A claim has been made that IE, IIS, and at least some flavors of Windows
    don't work like that.  http://grotto11.com/blog/?+1039831658.  I don't
    have time to verify the claim, but if it's true a worm spreading without
    the expected TCP handshake might well be possible.

    Rob

    Rob McCauley
    Radiation Oncology
    Duke University Medical Center

    <Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
    Take back your personal time.
    15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
    <A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure"> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>