RE: SPM2000$ Rouge Share

From: Jonathan Rickman (jonathanat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 17:53:44 PST

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Robinson, Jonathon wrote:

    > Harlan,
    >
    > If I go to the management console> shared folders> shares> Right-click and
    > properties> I get the following:
    >
    > "This has been shared for administrative purposes. The share permissions and
    > file security cannot be set."
    >
    > However, I'm not able to reboot the server at this time as it's currently in
    > production, so the reoccurrence of the share is simply an assumption.
    >
    > I'd just like to know why this share exists.

    The software package mentioned earlier is produced by Gravity Storm
    Software http://securitybastion.com. I have used this software on NT4 with
    great success. It did not exhibit this behavior. I can't say that is does
    not exhibit this behavior by default on Win 2000 as I have not tested it.
    However, I suspect that it could have created the share for it's own use.
    Most likely to facilitate the distribution of service packs and hotfixes.
    The version I tested prompted you to do this on your own, perhaps newer
    versions do not. The maintainer can be contacted with the addresses on the
    web site.

    --
    Jonathan Rickman
    X Corps Security

    <Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
    Take back your personal time.
    15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
    <A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure"> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>