RE: California State Bill SB1386

From: Jonathan A. Zdziarski (jonathanat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 19:21:50 PST

    >   of California whose unencrypted personal information
    >   was, or is reasonably believed to have been, acquired
    >   by an unauthorized person."

    It seems to me that the language used in this bill suggests that
    notification would be necessary if the unencrypted information _COULD HAVE
    BEEN ACQUIRED_ .... NOT that the unencrypted information itself was
    _TRANSMITTED_....so to me that says if there is a reasonable chance that the
    information that was stolen (even if encrypted) could be decrypted into
    plain text (either via a weak encryption scheme such as ROT13 or if there's
    evidence the keys were stolen as well), that it would need to be reported.

    I think this clears up some of your other questions as well.

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfihl1