Re: strange DNS behavior over the last 2 days

From: Jacco Tunnissen (jaccoat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 00:19:27 PST

    On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 06:18:15PM -0800, Chris Wilkes wrote:

    >You can also install http://www.ethereal.org on your Windows box and find
    >out what queries it is sending out. You might think your asking for the DNS
    >entry for "example.com" but really you're asking for
    >"example.com.mylocaldomain.com" I have a feeling that could be your
    >problem.

    Hello Chris,

    That might very well be the case, indeed. If so, that DNS (or ADS) has to be
    fixed immediately.

    A lot of DNS implementations (especially Microsoft ones) are causing bogus
    queries received at the root servers, due to misconfigured servers and
    workstations. It's a real pain.

    If you -as as reader of this list- are responsible for DNS in your
    organization, perhaps you can help to reduce bogus DNS queries by carefully
    reading the following three documents and fix the problem.

    1. DNS Damage - Measurements at a Root Server

    http://www.caida.org/outreach/presentations/ietf0112/dns.damage.html

    Presentation which discusses bogus queries received at the root servers:
    non-stop repeated queries, bogus A-queries, bogus TLD's, internal names and
    private address space leaking out to the Internet.

    2. The Heartbeat of Private Nets: Spectroscopy of DNS Update Traffic

    http://www.caida.org/~broido/dns/rfc1918.html

    Paper which classifies the attempts to dynamically update DNS records
    primarily for private (RFC1918) blocks by analyzing the frequency spectrum
    of update packets seen at one of the authoritative servers for RFC1918
    zones.

    3. Wow, That's a Lot of Packets (PDF file)

    http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/2003/dnspackets/wessels-pam2003.pdf

    Paper that analyzes the queries that arrive at the thirteen root servers in
    a 24-hour time period. The data is classified into one of nine categories.
    By far, most of the queries are repeats and only a small percentage is
    legitimate. Also discusses root server abuse.

    Best regards,

    Jacco Tunnissen
    --
    http://www.honeypots.net/
    Intrusion Detection Systems,

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfihl1