Re: SQL Slammer Variant?

From: crucible (crucibleat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 04:53:20 PST

    Aaron,

    If you're pretty sure that the traffic is originating internally and is
    spoofed, here are a couple of things you could do:

    - If you have internal routers, add source address spoofing filters to
       each of their interfaces. You could turn on logging for matches based
       on that rule and at least narrow down which of your networks this is
       coming from. This is a good thing to have in any event. People on your
       internal network shouldn't be sending spoofed packets.

    - If you don't have internal routers and you've got just one big
       switched network, then the source MAC address of the spoofed packets
       should hopefully be in the packet captures of your IDS logs. Use this
       information in combination with your switch management tools to figure
       out where the traffic is coming from.

    HTH,

    --
    crucible <crucibleat_private>
    Excellent. The weather machine is nearly completed. What do you say to

    Wilson, Aaron J. wrote:
    > I am witnessing SQL Slammer IDS events on an internal sensor that aren't
    > coming from one particular source.  In fact, every packet sent has a unique
    > and random source IP as well as a unique and random destination IP.  The
    > data in the packet matches the one shown at
    > http://isc.incidents.org/analysis.html?id=180.  We have UDP 1434 blocked
    > around the perimeter and believe this traffic to be originating from a
    > system within the internal network.
    >
    > The rate of packets at around 2-6 packets per minute isn't as high as the
    > original SQL Slammer traffic I have been seeing (at thousands of packets per
    > minute).  But this is going to be difficult to track down on a large
    > network.  If it spreads, 2-6 packets per minute per infected host with
    > thousands of internal systems...
    >
    > The first spell was between 03/27/2003 1023 and 1100 PST.  It picked up
    > again at 1431 PST on 3/28/2003 and hasn't stopped yet.
    >
    > Thoughts?  Similar experiences?  Note to coworkers - if this is a practical
    > joke on me it's a good one.
    >
    > -Aaron

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents