possible rootkit, maybe partial?

From: Benjamin Tomhave (falconat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 19:47:05 PST

    Hello,

    I'm investigating a possible SucKIT rootkit compromise on a web server.  The
    server is a fully-patched RH8 system, running iptables limited to ssh, http,
    https and previously mysql (tcp 3306).  Kernel is RH 2.4.18-27.8.0.  The
    reason I'm at a bit of a loss here is because a) the tell-tale signs aren't
    consistent with documented suckit compromises, and b) there doesn't seem to
    be anything on the system comprising the rootkit.  Even chkrootkit comes up
    empty/clean.  Which makes me wonder if someone found a whole in a
    developer's php code, tried to load suckit, had it fail, and then walked
    away.  What I can say for certain is that this issue has arisen in the last
    1-2 weeks (the current kernel appears to have been installed 3/20).
    Checking through /proc there doesn't appear to be anything unusual, either.
    tcpdump did not indicate any unexpected traffic.  No web pages have been
    defaced.

    Here's what leads me to believe that this is a rootkit compromise:

    # reboot

    Broadcast message from root (pts/0) (Wed Apr  2 20:27:23 2003):

    The system is going down for reboot NOW!
    /dev/null
    RK_Init: idt=0xc03b0000, sct[]=0xc03300f4, FUCK: Can't find kmalloc()!

    Now, call me crazy, but the last part of the last line doesn't strike me as
    something that belongs.  As it stands right now, I'm slating this box for
    low-level format and reinstall within the week.  Since it doesn't seem to be
    an active zombie or anything, and since I'm still not 100% sure this is a
    compromised system, I'll take the chance of waiting.  I may also try
    reinstalling the kernel just to see if that makes a difference, too.

    Does this look familiar or suspicious to anyone else?  Anybody have any
    ideas on further diagnostics that I could run "just to be sure"?

    Thank you,

    -ben

     Benjamin Tomhave
     falconat_private
     http://falcon.secureconsulting.net/

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents