Re: possible rootkit, maybe partial?

From: Richard Rager (kb8rlnat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 20:29:03 PST

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Benjamin Tomhave wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm investigating a possible SucKIT rootkit compromise on a web server.  The
    > server is a fully-patched RH8 system, running iptables limited to ssh, http,
    > https and previously mysql (tcp 3306).  Kernel is RH 2.4.18-27.8.0.  The
    > reason I'm at a bit of a loss here is because a) the tell-tale signs aren't
    > consistent with documented suckit compromises, and b) there doesn't seem to
    > be anything on the system comprising the rootkit.  Even chkrootkit comes up
    > empty/clean.  Which makes me wonder if someone found a whole in a
    > developer's php code, tried to load suckit, had it fail, and then walked
    > away.  What I can say for certain is that this issue has arisen in the last
    > 1-2 weeks (the current kernel appears to have been installed 3/20).
    > Checking through /proc there doesn't appear to be anything unusual, either.
    > tcpdump did not indicate any unexpected traffic.  No web pages have been
    > defaced.
    >
    > Here's what leads me to believe that this is a rootkit compromise:
    >
    > # reboot
    >
    > Broadcast message from root (pts/0) (Wed Apr  2 20:27:23 2003):
    >
    > The system is going down for reboot NOW!
    > /dev/null
    > RK_Init: idt=0xc03b0000, sct[]=0xc03300f4, FUCK: Can't find kmalloc()!

       I had the same thing in a root kit called.  zk/backdoor

    Does the same thing..

    Run somthing called CORND  <--all caps..

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents