RE: Logon/Logoff Failure Events

From: John Ives (jivesat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 10:04:15 PST

    To me, this has all the classic symptoms of an enumeration/password
    guessing attack.  Using a tool like enum, an attacker is able to get a list
    of usernames and shares.  It is possible, and even advisable, to restrict
    this information.  For instructions on how to do this see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B143474.  Just
    keep in mind that some software NDS for NT, etc. need the null sessions
    that are relied upon.  If you can block access to the nbt ports (UDP 137
    and 138, TCP 139 and UDP/TCP 445 if you also have any Win2k+ machines that
    are getting attacked) at your border then I would do that. If you've
    already done that then it appears someone has breached the border
    protections either by physically accessing your network or by relaying the
    attack through some machine inside your network.  However, if the second
    option is the case I would have expected them to be a little more subtle,
    after all its possible to pick usernames and password hashes off the
    network and crack them remotely (relative to your network).  One tool that
    is very nice and easy to use against individual targets, should you want to
    find out how much information can be retrieved from your box, is nbtdump
    (http://www.atstake.com/research/tools/info_gathering/) from @stake.  When
    run against a box that allows enumeration, it generates a nice little html
    page with shares (even hidden shares), usernames , how long it has been
    since the user's password was changed and how many times the passwords has
    been used to login.

    What to really look for in your logs is a successful logon in the midst of
    those failed attempts.  Of course this requires that you log successes as
    well as failures.

    As for your actual question, the only time I have seen anything like this
    in a relatively benign situation, the user didn't logoff and when her time
    restrictions kicked in, the machine repeatedly attempted to get in because
    of an automated process she was running.  In that sort of scenario the
    computer name in the event log correlates to the users actual computer.

    Yours,

    John Ives

    John Ives, GCWN
    Systems Administrator
    College of Chemistry
    (510) 643-1033

    "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security,  Then you will be hacked.
    What's more,  you deserve to be hacked."   - Richard Clarke special adviser
    to the president on cybersecurity

    Any opinions expressed are my own and not those of the Regents of the
    University of California.