RE: Logon/Logoff Failure Events

From: Russell Morrison (rmorrisonat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 08:17:50 PST

    Ana;

    I have noted you received several good responses to your initial query (see
    below) that you sent out late March.  If your MS network is in fact open to
    the internet without some level screening, those suggestions are likely bang
    on.  However, if your network is screened and the MS aspects are not
    directly exposed, I might suggest one other possible (perhaps less
    malicious) source for your noted login attempts.

    I have noted, with interest, similar aspects on my own network (which I
    should say is heavily screened and MS traffic is dropped at the
    firewalls....).  In addition, I am not sure of the architecture of your
    network and whether it is a pure MS/NT environment or whether there are
    other "aspects" that are "MS compatible" but not true MS products.  SAN
    appliances and Linux/Unix boxes running SAMBA (or the similar SUN PCNetlink)
    have a tendency to continually hammer away at the PDC using a list of all
    users (past and current) that have logged into those boxes/servers.  It
    usually shows up in the logs as attempts every second or few seconds
    depending on the number of installs/appliances, the number of users, and
    various other factors.  They generally show up as failures in all cases.

    Initially, I thought this was a security issue so I did some digging
    tracking down the traffic.  I found it was a SAN appliance I was using for
    offline storage.  I went to task with the manufacturer of the SAN appliance.
    The devices was continually hammering away at our PDC with a wide list of
    old and current users with each one failing.  The manufacturer tech
    acknowledged the issue as an aspect of the version of Uni*/Linu* they were
    running along with the Samba tool that made it plug-and-play in a MS
    environment.  Obviously, I have since removed the box (it had a number of
    issues in addition to this one....) but I have seen very similar traffic
    with both Linux/Samba and Solaris/PCNetlink installs on my network.

    Not sure if any of these devices/OS's/tools are on your network but this may
    give you one other source to check out.

    HTH.

    Russell