Re: SMTP probes

From: Bojan Zdrnja (Bojan.Zdrnjaat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 02:23:22 PST

    Although I didn't see any more empty SMTP connections on my servers than
    usually, this indicates at least banner grabbing.
    On non changed installations most SMTP servers will paste their version and/or
    version of configuration file.

    I suggest removing this from the configuration file (it can be done easily with
    all popular SMTP servers). Also, if you use Sendmail, do remember to remove
    version from other places (ie. when executing HELP command, which will usually
    print Sendmail version - most administrators forget to remove this).

    Best regards,

    Bojan Zdrnja

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents