Tracking proxies on port 1180/1182

From: Joe Stewart (jstewartat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 11:54:48 PDT

    There was some discussion on Incidents last month about hidden Wingate
    proxy servers being installed on systems without the owner's knowledge,
    listening on non-standard ports. I have since done some research on these
    and have discovered they are being installed by the Sobig.a (BigBoss) virus.
    This is something the AV companies missed in every analysis I have read. This
    is unfortunate because these proxies are being used in a big way by spammers.
    I have written an analysis of the method of infection from beginning to end:

    http://www.lurhq.com/sobig.html

    -Joe

    --

    Joe Stewart, GCIH
    Senior Intrusion Analyst

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents