Re: Tracking proxies on port 1180/1182

From: Michael Scheidell (scheidellat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 12:56:46 PDT

    > There was some discussion on Incidents last month about hidden Wingate
    > proxy servers being installed on systems without the owner's knowledge,
    > listening on non-standard ports. I have since done some research on these
    > and have discovered they are being installed by the Sobig.a (BigBoss) virus.
    > This is something the AV companies missed in every analysis I have read. This
    > is unfortunate because these proxies are being used in a big way by spammers.
    > I have written an analysis of the method of infection from beginning to end:
    >
    > http://www.lurhq.com/sobig.html

    found mention of one in my spam log. wonder if 66.190.154.95 is spammers
    ip address... also, interesting to see what happens when that comcast
    customer's proxy is used to try to tell comcast they have a problem there:

    3F1D43810F: reject: RCPT from
    bgp552493bgs.ewndsr01.nj.comcast.net[68.38.184.185]: 554 Service
    unavailable; Client host [68.38.184.185] blocked using
    socks.relays.osirusoft.com; (2003/04/10) Open proxy: telnet(1181);
    from=<Lisa2923fat_private> to=<spamtrapat_private> proto=SMTP
    helo=<66.190.154.95>

    use it to talk to comcast's smtp server, just for fun.
     host -t mx comcast.net
    comcast.net mail is handled by 0 mx00.comcast.net.
    telnet 68.38.184.185 1181
    MNGTR>mx00.comcast.net 25

    mx00.comcast.net 25
    Connecting to host mx00.comcast.net...Connected
    571 Blocked for abuse 4/6/2003 Please send blacklist removal requests to
    blacklist_comcastnetat_private - Be sure to include your mail
    server IP address

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents