Re: Re: Attack attempts from 195.86.128.45

From: Benjamin Krueger (benjaminat_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 23:16:12 PDT

    * Levinson, Karl (LevinsonK@STARS-SMI.com) [030507 22:37]:
    > In addition to the other suggestions here, have you considered
    > www.mynetwatchman.com and/or www.dshield.org?  These are two free services
    > which would let you see if anyone else has seen attacks such as this, as
    > well as automatically notify the relevant ISP [though I agree that this
    > often does not bring satisyfing results].
    >
    > If you're like most people, you will receive so many of these types of
    > initial scans that you may find yourself unable to respond to each scan
    > personally.  Make sure your firewall policy and systems are secure, and be
    > sure to look for connections that were permitted in addition to ones that
    > were dropped.

    I should mention, while www.mynetwatchman.com sends email to everyone about
    abuse, they respond to none. I've gotten quite a few emails from them
    regarding attacks from an IP address that I no longer use. I changed ISPs
    and the reverse DNS entry was never changed. Since the reverse DNS entry
    pointed to my domain, mynetwatchman.com assumed that security@ my domain
    was the correct place to send attack reports.

    I've sent them many emails to correct this error (and flaw in their system)
    but never recieved anything more than a useless automated response.

    --
    Benjamin Krueger

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents