Re: Attack attempts from 195.86.128.45

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 06:55:01 PDT

    On Wed, 07 May 2003 10:14:12 CDT, Neil Dickey said:

    > I agree with Hamish Stanaway in that you are unlikely to hear
    > anything substantive from the ISP.  That doesn't mean they are
    > ignoring you, and it may mean that they are simply swamped with
    > similar complaints.

    Something else to remember is that sometimes, the "abuse@" address
    isn't *allowed* to tell you much more than a "your message has been
    received and will be dealt with".  In our case, we're stuck with some
    fairly heavy rules about the disclosure of student information. The
    Buckley Amendment (http://www.cpsr.org/cpsr/privacy/ssn/ferpa.buckley.html)
    in particular - our legal counsel says that in general, (b)(1) means that
    we can't say anything more than "we'll look into it and take appropriate
    action", because the problem is almost always a student.  We might have
    a little chat with them, or refer the matter to Judicial Affairs - in both
    cases, that's a "student record" and I can't tell you what happened unless
    you have a subpoena or similar.

    I *can* tell you that every single thing that shows up gets looked into
    and something appropriate is done about it....
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer