Source 126.0.0.1 UDP/137

From: jlepichat_private
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 14:06:56 PDT

    Can anyone tell me what is causing these entries to pop up in my firewall log?
    On our network we use a 10.x.x.x IP scheme. There is no host with the address
    of 126.0.0.1 on our network anywhere. I was able to capture this by sniffing
    the traffic from source 126.0.0.1.
    ............ CKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAA..!

    I have learned that this is a legitimate NetBIOS query.

    Here is an excerpt from my firewall log.

    Deny udp src inside:126.0.0.1/137 dst outside:3.13.0.10/137        (General
    Electric, NJ USA)
    Deny udp src inside:126.0.0.1/137 dst outside:63.14.0.10/137      (UUNET, VA,
    USA )
    Deny udp src inside:126.0.0.1/137 dst outside:210.11.0.10/137    (Asia
    Pacific Network Information Centre, AU)

    By sniffing the traffic I was able to find get the source MAC address. The
    MAC I got is that of our core router. I have not attempted to track the source
    beyond that router yet.

    -Jesse
    Fidelity Communications Webmail - http://webmail.fidnet.com