RE: Scans from proxyprotector.com

From: Mark Ng (laptopalias1-markat_private)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 08:17:11 PDT

    > Shawn Duffy wrote:
    >

    > I have more connections from proxyprotector than any other single host
    > in my Snort logs... and I don't use IRC at all... so them suggesting
    > that this is only related to IRC is bulls***...

    Indeed - so it seems - I was merely echoing that they do have a website and
    they *claim* to be whitehats.  However, I have since checked some IDS's for
    this kind of activity and can confirm that they do appear to just be
    scanning the internet.

    I will be filing complaints with their ISP's abuse team, and with
    abuse@proxyprotector too.  It seems that they are definitely doing something
    that they are not advertising.  To be noted is the fact that they mention
    that they list in "several DNSBL's" without mentioning which ones, do not
    allow lookups against their database, and that their link to "self-test"
    404's.