Re: A question for the list...

From: Kevin Reardon (Kevin.Reardonat_private)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 11:14:25 PDT

    It is an interesting topic.

    Is this proposal a vaccine, or could it unleash such collateral damage
    as to make the Internet useless?  Keep in mind that the "attackers" are
    more then likely compromised systems, and are thus "innocents."  But is
    this proposal more like a Good Samaritan then an active retaliation?
    Can it be controlled outside a legal system?  Let's face it, what is
    going to stop someone from unleashing a malevolent virus under the guise
    of benevolence?  It is very possible to use the Good Samaritan laws ("I
    was only trying to help") and provide even more shelter for the
    malevolent.

    Is the attacks a virus really?  We have used that word because
    mathematically it models the spread of the code.  Organic mechanisms
    react to a viral infection in three ways, defeat it, fail, or adapt.
    Last time I checked, computers do not respond in the latter manner.  How
    can they adapt?

    A vaccine worm is only a delivery mechanism.  It only applies a "fix"
    that should have been caught prior to deployment.  Typically attacks
    take the form of buffer overruns, or application designs to make things
    easy and friendly to use or program.  Prior to deployment there has to
    be some form of compiler.  I propose to make that compiler smarter and
    search for the sets of security holes that are common.

    Is it possible to stop this issue with the existing technology and not
    have to rely on a solution in Meat Space (the legal system)?  I can not
    see how.  The technology is too trivial (its binary after all) and was
    designed for a trusted environment.  I would like to entertain the topic
    of how to we drive a new technology that is secure.  But then again, I
    don't know how realistic that topic can be.

    ---K