Re: A question for the list...

From: Ed Shirey (eshireyat_private)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 16:30:22 PDT

    Dan Hanson wrote:

    >As part of incident handling and response, most of us have had to respond
    >to virus infections that have affected networks and hosts. Reports are
    >circulating that members of the IRC operator community have distributed
    >code through the update mechanism of the Fizzer virus. The code reportedly
    >attempts to remove the virus from the host. The latest information seems
    >to indicate that the "update" code was removed until further testing can
    >be done and more discussion regarding the legalities of this are had.

    I think that this approach to dealing with worms is an inevitable
    evolution of the network
    "organism".  It obviously carries many risks, but it can also
    potentially provide tremendous
    benefit to the health of the overall system.

    It's certainly not always the case, but often an infected system has
    readily exploitable
    holes that an active "vaccine" could utilize to remove the malware.
    This approach has
    a host of ethical and technical issues, but assuming an altruistic and
    benevolent (and
    technically competent) source, this vaccine has a net benefit (sorry
    about all the puns).

    I suggest that many of the issues are similar to those associated with
    "Good Samaritans".
    Our overly litigous society has many would-be samaritans afraid to offer
    a helping hand
    because of concern for liability.  Is this right? This isn't a
    rhetorical question -- there are
    certainly examples of well meaning, but inept assistance causing more
    harm than good.

    However, as more and more malware "organisms" begin to inhabit our
    network like
    virtual E. Coli. in the Internet gut,  active measures may be required,
    if for no other
    reason than to protect bandwidth.  Perhaps DSL providers should consider
    making
    permission to release active countermeasures part of the terms of use.

    This is going to be a fun thread...

    Ed