RE: A question for the list...

From: Dave Sharp (pcrepairsat_private)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 11:56:23 PDT

    Hi, I'm new to this, so please excuse the posturing and or ignorance. :-)

    Here is a link for a report on News.com and it contains some opinions by
    legal folk. http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-1003894.html?tag=lh<<<<<<

    A bunch of ideas for discussion pop-up to me... some of these may not be
    totally on-topic for this forum, if you can tie something back into incident
    response, I'll likely allow it through.

    Notwithstanding any legal implications I can see nothing but good arising
    from a responsible associate taking action
    against an active malevolent program. In proactively responding to a threat
    to their own networks, they are doing the
    whole community justice. Whether the malware propagates due to ignorance,
    laziness or budget, I think the end justifies the means.

    I know what it is like to be on the other end of stick. When Nimda was
    released, my ISP (sympatico) was heavily infected. At the time, the only
    thing I knew was the internet had slowed to a crawl and my firewall was
    racking log entries non stop. My newly installed NOD32 antivirus kept the
    worm at bay while my Norton machines were infected and I had no idea what
    was wrong. In the end, I had to take my computers and one server off the WAN
    due to the constant attacks from my ISP.
    After a little research, I did a port scan of my subnet to find that over
    100 machines were actively infected on my DSL subnet and wrote to Sympatico.
    Never did receive a reply. Wonder why?

    Precedure?

    Given some of the legal tripe that has come down from the courts concerning
    networks and the internet in the last year,
    I think a precedence could be established in court if one responded to a
    crisis situation on a neighboring network and shutdown malware. No sense
    elaborating since it would be nothing more than legal speculation. Given the
    legal state
    of affairs in the US, and their penchant for siding with criminals who is to
    say. (no different here in Canada either)

    Just to reinforce my first statement.
    http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000336.html

    To put the shoe on the other foot, why shouldn't the infectious networks be
    held responsible for
    propagating the malware code if preventive measures such as patching the
    server exist in the first
    place? Is it not their responsibility to ensure that their servers DO NOT
    contribute to further infection
    if the means exist and are widely known? Could this set a precedent to sue
    an enterprise network for
    virulent proliferation to extract the costs of infection cleanup?

    malicious code on the target host?

    I would say yes. There is currently no mechanism for a network that has been
    infected from malware to recover costs
    associated from an infection. One could block or otherwise prevent the
    spread to their networks through passive means
    but what about the loss of bandwidth while the malware constantly hammers
    their networks? A properly planned and executed
    tactical response against a rogue network responsible for spreading
    infection would benefit the internet as a whole.
    I cannot see this as being erroneous. If a rogue network is responsible for
    spreading infection and can be taken offline or rendered safe, where is the
    downside? If it is a matter of moralistic semantics, I believe it to be a
    moot point.

    One could argue the merits of an individual taking action against such a
    network, but what if it were an organization?
    Seems to me that there is a need to actively pursue some sort of organized
    response against widespread infections in
    networked communications. It would have to be more effective and responsive
    than a UN type organization. Someone would
    have to be responsible and make quick final decisions. It is a problem that
    knows no borders or political boundaries and
    therefore should not be a consideration. If they infect, they come down,
    that simple. Right? If they don't they should
    be held responsible for cross network infections as a result of inaction.
    Host networks that are offshore could be
    blocked altogether. Nonetheless I actively block complete known malicious
    networks and subnets from my server as a matter of practice.

    than the approach taken with the Fizzer virus, Tim's approach made no
    significant changes on the targeted host, simply blocked the ability of
    Nimda to replicate (if I remember correctly), and notify the owner that they
    have been compromised and where to go to find help in removing the
    infection. The approach taken to actually modify the system to remove Fizzer
    seems to go significantly past that. Why was the reaction to Tim's advocacy
    of discussion so hostile, and to date, I have seen no negative criticism of
    the Fizzer removal.

    I can see no relevant argument against such a response. Again, where is the
    downside to this? Most times, when a network
    is responsibly managed, these infections do not take place. I stress MOST
    times. If a network admin were hostile to taking
    preventative measures, one would have to ask why and deserve and answer. In
    the mean time, down he comes despite the
    arguments.

    debate these issues to find a resolution? I think that most people would
    agree that the increasing risk that these distributed networks pose to every
    Internet connected host is grave, and a better method is required to deal
    with them. Are there other ideas that don't get us into "arms races" with
    malcode writers.

    Being new to this (less than a year) and a user of 5 years, I think this is
    an idea's who's time has come. A group? Yes.
    A responsible group, with authority to take appropriate and swift action. In
    fact in the US, could this not be actively
    reconciled as part of Homeland Security? Networks compromised by malware
    would indeed be ripe for further intrusions and
    exploits while being brought to their digital knees. An infected network
    could be effectively "quarantined" while the
    group takes action to provide effective cleanup and provide network
    forensics. Cause and effect have to be established and
    preventative measures brought up to speed.

    communication and update channels underground/encrypted (the "arms race"
    that I mentioned)

    I wouldn't like to think so, but as long as there are malware purveyors
    there will always be a war. Taking into account
    what is at stake, I believe tactical responses are appropriate and
    necessary. Many networks, ISP's and enterprises have
    too much to lose not to take a proactive stance in shutting down virulent
    networks. The problem is than a large majority
    of casual users do not recognize the threat, and a similarly large amount of
    network admins do not do their jobs, or
    respond inappropriately or ineffectively to an network infection.

    At this point, I would have to ask why it took so long for ISP's to respond
    appropriately to Nimda and Slammer? Why were
    servers not patched and protected? Why after infection did they remain
    actively networked for so long? Why are infected
    networks not FORCED offline or blocked? Who the hell is in
    charge??????????????? If no one, then the question that begs to be answered
    is why this is even an issue? If a contentious educated individual who's
    network is under attack responds to
    that attack in a friendly tactical manner, where is the problem? Who is to
    stop him, and why would they want to? If my
    server was actively infecting a network and someone stepped up to the plate,
    stopped it and informed me of what they did,
    I would feel "schooled", and would be thankful for the education. From what
    I see from these newsletters, there are many,
    many, individuals on this list who meet those criteria.

    implementing to control their exposure to these communication channels?

    Good question. :-)Lots of talk, lots of available software and hardware not
    to mention educational facilities! The Slammer worm is still the proof in
    the pudding. One would think that the Nimda worm taught a world wide lesson,
    but apparently not. How many of the SQL servers online belonged to
    enterprises with large budgets and IT staff. Why did they not take the
    appropriate measures to prevent the spread of the slammer worm when so many
    avenues of prevention clearly exist is my question? To not patch a server in
    my opinion is inexcusable. If you haven't got the budget or the time, then
    you shouldn't be networked to others that do.

    of hosts, what is the view on the legality of doing this? If you had a host
    on your network that was suddenly shut down by a well meaning (or not so
    well meaning third party), what would your response be?

    Like I said above, I'd feel "schooled". Especially if I received an email
    outlining what they did, how they
    did it, and why. If I am actively infecting a network or subnet, I should be
    thankful. Are we not all members of the same loose community? If a
    particular network admin fails in his duties, why should his lack of action
    or education serve
    as a (loosely)" Typhoid Mary"  for the rest of the net? Shutting down
    infectious networks is a responsible reaction.

    To use a medical analogy with which the computer community loves to flirt
    with,  (Dell Support Interns?)

    If the virus was a medical problem, and the code writer a doctor, he would
    be deemed a HERO, and not in the
    loose terms that it is being used today. I say write and deploy your (SARS)
    corrective code who ever you are!

    Sincerely,

    Dave Sharp

    apprentice networking and admin