Re: A question for the list...

From: Ray Stirbei (meat_private)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 23:04:04 PDT

    Dave,

    I commend your passion to write such a lengthy post and there is no
    disagreement about the negative impact of worms and DoS atacks. I also agree
    with you that such a strike back would probably be effective in mitigating
    these types of attacks.

    For the sake of reference here are the sources of this discussion. Most of
    these have reader feedback:

    Tim's original posts and presentation from last summer:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/98
    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/134
    http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-asia-02/bh-asia-02-mullen.pdf

    An academic paper presented to IEEE about the same time as Tim's work - summer
    2002 ( Nimda season ).
    http://www.sosresearch.org/publications/ISTAS02hackback.PDF

    Here's the argument in 2001
    http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/14874.html:

    And 2000
    http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2000/0529feat2.html

    You can find references in the IEEE paper when this topic was discussed in
    1999, 1998, etc.

    The IEEE paper deals with the majors issues in a systematic way. In the
    context of your message, a big problem we face is not knowing the identity of
    the attacker. A few years ago IDS vendors introduced the capability to
    dynamically update firewall ACLS to drop all traffic from hosts who 'seemed'
    to attack the network. This concept is called shunning and its a sensible
    idea. The problems started when attackers would launch an common attack (whom
    the IDS sensor is sure to pick up), but masqueraded the traffic to make it
    look like it is from the IDS sensor itself. Surely enough, the IDS responds
    by adding firewall rules which in effect shut down the IDS sensor.  The irony
    is almost Shakespearean.

    A lot of things that makes sense (in the area of self-defense) in the physical
    world, don't hold water on the Intenet. Cars, for example, are powerful tools
    but can also wreak great havoc in irresponsible hands. So we have tight
    federal regulations mandating safety featuresand construction, traffic laws
    at all gov't levels and licensing for all operators. We don't have this on
    the Internet! Moreover, even if US passes laws legalizing a counterstrike,
    there are many other countries in the world (190 to be exact) an attacker can
    choose to attack from.  Even script kiddies these days bounce around the
    world prior to an attack.

    Security is a difficult endeavour and I suspect the long term approach to this
    problem are better secured systems that (passively) react and neutralize the
    threat. Your message brings many great points. In reponse to the Fizzer
    approach, I restate that counter attacking is effective. However, this is a
    complex topic with all types of consequences and just becuase its effective
    doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

    ray