Re: A question for the list...

From: Steve Barnet (barnetat_private)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 14:53:05 PDT

    >  We're talking about (a pound of) cure, how about (an ounce of)
    > prevention?
    >
    >   There seems to be consensus that (lack of) competence is part of the
    > problem.. If ISP's would/could take on more responsibility, the need for
    > hack-back would be greatly reduced, making discussion if it's nice or
    > not futile, so maybe the following is even on topic ;-)

    [snip]

    >   I am aware that most ISP's are operating within tight budgets, I am
    > less aware of the impact of such a scheme on costs.

    Very nasty: N customers x M ports. Customer changes admins and becomes
    incompetent. Customer adds a platform and becomes incompetent. Customer
    adds an admin and becomes competent. ...

    It won't scale at all well.

    >   One benefit for the ISP would be a reduced load on abuse@.. A benefit
    > for the customer would be reduced maintenance and clean-up costs. The
    > benefits for the community are obvious.
    >
    >   What do you think ?

    This sounds good in principle, but I think it would ultimately
    prove ineffective. There are the very obvious problems of
    determining competence (suppose the ISP is not competent) and
    resolving issues that are more social and organizational (and
    hence ultimately political).

    However, even assuming all of the hairy judgment issues could be
    worked out, this would create a cost incentive to simply start
    tunneling every protocol through port 80 (or one arbitrary port).
    Given people's propensity to install arbitrary software from
    random anonymous sources:

    From: supportat_private
    Subject: Leet0 pr0xy 4 U
    See my file!
    -----Attachment
    naughty.pif

    I doubt it would take long to reconstruct the existing problem.

    And given the history with egress filtering which also has
    obvious benefits for the community ...

    Best,

    ---Steve