RE: ICMP/SYN Flood

From: David Gillett (gillettdavidat_private)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 14:47:23 PDT

      Briefly, NO.  (I'm going to suggest a possibility further
    down this message, but I wouldn't characterise its current
    behaviour as "poorly configured" -- it's pretty normal.)

      The definitions of broadcast and network addresses depend upon
    where the split is between the network and host portions of the
    address, which is pretty much private to the source network.
      (You can often make an educated guess by looking at routing
    tables from one hop away.  Beyond that, you don't really know.)

      MOST net blocks these days are smaller than a Class B, so
    addresses in which the last two octets are ".0.0" are *likely*
    to be network addresses.
      Your NOC guys *could* block those in an access list by
    wildcarding the first two octets (e.g., wildcard mask =
    255.255.0.0).  The risk that this would block any legitimate
    user is very tiny.
      It won't block all of your attackers, but it looks from your
    list like it might be enough to make a difference.

    David Gillett