RE: Possible Intrusion Attempt?

From: Jerry Shenk (jshenkat_private)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 12:22:15 PDT

    I'd look at the message and see if there is an html file link -
    <file://123.132.123.133/someshare/somefile.ext>.  That would cause the
    user's e-mail client to attempt to authenticate to that external IP address
    and initially send the username/password hash.  If the attacker is
    collecting those packets, they could be replayed into L0phtcrack or
    something similar and the passwords could be cracked.

    Another option would be to sniff the traffic from one of the affected hosts
    and see if the workstation tries to connect to some external Ip address when
    the message is viewed.  I wouldn't worry too much about information leakage
    at this point 'cuz they've already sent the info out.  Just don't log in as
    yourself or admin to do it....stick to the user who's already viewed the
    message and presumably sent their credentials.

    BTW, the solution for this is to block NetBIOS ports and the edge (and
    everywhere else;).