RE: A question for the list...

From: Bojan Zdrnja (Bojan.Zdrnjaat_private)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 17:34:05 PDT

    Just my two cents on this topic ...

    Although I agree that counter attack _can_ be effective, I don't think it's
    very feasible.

    Take SQLSlammer for example. It's whole payload is one UDP packet 376 bytes
    big. Did you see that? UDP? Spoofing packets? Hell yes. Now, how do you know
    who is the real source of that packet. There is no way to know it.
    Now, of course, you can say that SQLSlammer doesn't spoof source packet IP
    address, but who says that won't happen in the future.

    So we have 2 grey areas of counter attacks: first is the legality of it and
    second is actual feasibility. I don't think this can hold water ...

    Best regards,

    Bojan Zdrnja