Re: is this new ...

From: Brad Arlt (arltat_private)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 09:43:52 PDT

    On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 07:22:18AM -0700, terry white wrote:

    > ... anyone know what this is:
    >
    > "May 24 05:42:31 yossarian sendmail[3835]: h4OCg7Da003834: Fixed MIME
    >  Content-Disposition header field (possible attack)"

    One of the last two Sendmail remote root fixes included an additional
    fix that can be compiled out if you request to do so.  The fix corrects
    the above to render the possible attack less damaging.

    The note in sendmail's Release notes is:

    To provide partial protection to internal, unpatched sendmail MTAs,
    		8.12.9 changes by default (char)0xff to (char)0x7f in
    		headers etc.  To turn off this conversion compile with
    		-DALLOW_255 or use the command line option -d82.101.
       __o		Bradley Arlt			Security Team Lead
     _ \<_		arltat_private		University Of Calgary
    (_)/(_) 	I should be biking right now.	Computer Science