Re: [ANNOUNCE] protocol watcher

From: Andrew Simmons (andrews@mis-cds.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 05:04:13 PDT

    Jerry Shenk wrote:

    > Is it possible to get LaBrea to use unused ports on a single IP address.  I
    > think it just does entire unused IP addresses.

    This reminds me of an interesting article on setting up a cheap and
    cheerful honeypot using a couple of simple shell scripts and netcat which
    may or may not be of use to the original poster...?

    http://www.securityhorizon.com/whitepapers/technical/honeypot.html

    In a nutshell, the scripts start netcat processes listening on various
    significant ports. An elegant solution showing the power of netcat...
    I'm sure I saw a more detailed article along the same lines on another
    site, but of course I can't locate the URL now.

    Netcat will only log TCP or UDP connections. For ICMP and other more
    unusual IP protocols you'll need a full-blown firewall.

    cheers,

    \a

    The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be privileged and confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communications is strictly prohibited.  The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily of MIS Corporate Defence Solutions Ltd.  Any prices quoted are only valid if followed up by a formal written quote.  If you have received this transmission in error, please contact our Security Manager on 44 (0) 1622 723410.