File on desktop called "~"

From: riceat_private
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 10:33:59 PDT

    Greetings.
    I'm starting to see some of my workstations getting a
    suspicious file on the desktop with the filename ~.
    Using a hex editor, you can see current email addresses
    that mail has been sent to. Neither Norton or Sophos
    detect a problem. Has anyone else seen this or have any
    infomation about what this might be?
    All workstations are running win2k or winxp. Outlook
    2002 is the email app. Task manager on the afflicted
    machines shows all the same processes of non-afflicted
    machines.
    Many thanks!