Port 0 packets

From: Stuart (secmailat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 17:28:48 PDT

    Hi,

    After currently reviewing firewall logs from ISA server I have come
    across a period of where the box was hit with an aprox. average of 3 - 4
    packets per 5 minute period for 8 hours. After looking up information
    from dshield.org
    http://isc.incidents.org/port_details.html?port=0

    I have found that these packets can cause DoS on certain devices and
    OS'. The effect of the packets had no effect on the box itself but the
    packets were originating from 2 different hosts so I would assume this
    will fall in the category of DDoS?
    I first noticed these packets in the logs on the 21st from 11:20 GMT to
    22nd 7:20 GMT and they have just started again (22nd  17:40 GMT) and are
    continuing.

    Has anyone else received such packets? Or know if there is a Trojan/worm
    that these packets are sent from?

    Thanks for your help

    Stu