Heavy port 1214 traffic revisited

From: Mika (mikaat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 06:51:00 PDT

    Hi,

    I know this has been discussed here before and I've read
    the previous threads in the archive. In my case there is,
    however, something new - or at least something that was
    not discussed previously - that I do not understand and
    I would appreciate your advice.

    I have a DSL connection with a dynamic IP assigned by
    DHCP. I also have three computers on my network. One
    OpenBSD, one Linux and one Windows XP. For the moment they
    are all connected directly to a switch which in turn is
    connected to an adsl bridge/router (Zyxel 645R).

    Connecting the Linux and OpenBSD computers to the net was
    uneventful. However, after a fresh Windows XP Pro was
    installed on the third computer, I began to notice an
    increasing amount of traffic hitting its port 1214 - I know
    this to be the port for Kazaa and Morpheus. I run neither.
    The scans come from all over the world and from different
    ports but they invariably target the port 1214. The traffic
    looks like this (ZoneAlarm format, xxx = I obfuscated the last
    two numbers of my IP):

    FWIN,2003/07/27,15:50:08 +3:00
    GMT,66.130.133.21:4312,195.197.xxx.xxx:1214,TCP (flags:S)

    FWIN,2003/07/27,15:50:08 +3:00
    GMT,24.51.192.6:3842,195.197.xxx.xxx:1214,TCP (flags:S)

    Now, the interesting bit is this. If I switch off the
    Windows XP computer, the traffic will die down entirely in
    a few hours. If I switch the XP computer on again, the
    hits to port 1214 will reappear in no time. Linux and
    OpenBSD computers never seem to trigger this "flood" of
    packets.

    So my question is: how do these sites that send packets
    to my port 1214 "know" that the WinXP computer is up.
    Remember, it was a fresh install. Why do they seem to
    ignore the Linux and OpenBSD boxes that are on the same
    network?

    It does not seem to be the IP number. The XP has been
    assigned several different IP numbers by the ISP's DHCP
    so far.

    Could my computer signal some out there that it is
    alive? Well, when I start the XP computer, tcpdump on
    Linux shows outgoing DHCP and netbios requests which
    do sometimes appear to go to somewhat strange addresses
    like DNS servers in another country. But why would a
    fresh XP install do this?

    Although my bandwidth seems to be mostly unaffected, I
    find these hits very disturbing and they clog up my
    logs. Any advice is appreciated.

    Regards,
    Mika