Re: First time security issue.

From: Matt Scarborough (vexversaat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 01:33:29 PDT

    "<benat_private>" wrote earlier
    > Last week out NT4 PDC detected a virus (Pinfi.a) and put it in quaentine
    > as it should.

    On 23 Jul 2003 00:51:40 -0000, "<benat_private>" wrote
    <20030723005140.25553.qmailat_private>

    > I think its worth mentioning that Fport will not run on the machine, all
    > it does is give me the program info, but no results. I have tried it on
    > other machines and it works fine, just not on this one.

    I've seen this with FPort 2.0. When FPort was updated to work with Windows
    XP, backwards compatibility with NT4 was lost. I see the FPort ReadMe states
    otherwise.

    On NT4 Server/PDC, with the latest version of FPort available here
    MD5=DBB75488AA2FA22BA6950AEAD1EF30D5
    http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/free_tools.html
    nothing but version info to stdout.

    A version that works on NT4/PDC is here, FPort ver. 1.33.
    http://online.securityfocus.com/data/tools/FPortNG.zip
    As a bonus, SecurityFocus' archived version still contains the needed
    PSAPI.DLL for NT4.

    Consider this merely a pre-emptive first strike to the forked thread
    spiraling off on whether NTDLL.DLL has been Trojaned on the OP's box.

    Matt Scarborough 2003-07-26