Re: Scan of TCP 552-554

From: Rodrigo Barbosa (rodrigobat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 10:54:38 PDT

    And it was exactly adaptative scanning I was thinking of.
    It is very easy, when the firewall drop packages, to determine that it IS
    a firewall, and the expected response time. So, it can simply change it's
    scanning timings to the expected values. In this case, droping packages
    would do nothing to slow the scanning. This kind of thing can be some
    pretty fast. One only have to check the ports that are usualy open
    (53/udp, 25/tcp and 80/tcp) and once that is usualy closed (1,2,3,5,7,9/tcp).

    My reasoning is that you have to trust your firewall. Sooner or later, the
    atacker will bruteforce it. So, the longer it takes for the
    attacker to understand there is a firewall there, the better. That is
    why I'm considering using tcp-reset. This way, the attacker will hit
    the traps faster. Maybe even same traps that will block his attack
    entirely.

    These are just sort of idle toughts, of course. There is many variables
    here. Slowing down the attack is some, for sure, and I do see your point.
    I think we have to consider the following points:

    1) How much do we really slow down attacks by droping packages, specially
       considering things like adaptative scanning

    2) How much do we hide the firewall, by using tcp-reset ? Do we hide it
       at all ?

    3) If slowing down is not really possible, and hiding the firewall is
       also not possible, why not just be nice, and answer with adm-forbidden
       messages and such ?

    []s