Re: Scan of TCP 552-554

From: Frank Knobbe (fknobbeat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 13:49:26 PDT

    On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 12:54, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
    > My reasoning is that you have to trust your firewall. Sooner or later, the
    > atacker will bruteforce it. So, the longer it takes for the
    > attacker to understand there is a firewall there, the better. That is
    > why I'm considering using tcp-reset. This way, the attacker will hit
    > the traps faster. Maybe even same traps that will block his attack
    > entirely.

    Sure, everything can be figured out over time. To answer your question,
    personally I drop everything silently on the firewall (like Russel) on
    the outside interface. On the inside interface I prefer to send a
    TCP-Reset so that internal devices get on with their business and don't
    hang in timeout states. Keep in mind that my policy (just like yours I
    hope) takes a "deny all, allow required" stance. Firewalls that allow
    all and filter out certain port ranges may be better off with TCP-RST
    while deny-all firewalls may be better off with silent drops.

    I don't think you will always be able to completely hide a system though
    (especially when it serves a purpose, like email ;)
    However, a thought just came to mind. Would it be better (from a
    cover-up point of view) to have the firewall send a spoofed
    ICMP-Host-Unreachable packet with the routers IP address? :)

    Cheers,
    Frank