Re: Scan of TCP 552-554

From: Salvatore Poliandro (jelloat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 16:24:51 PDT

    Hello All!

    >People who deploy "allow all, filter selected" firewalls are bettor off
    with brain surgery, if you ask my
    >opinion.

    Hallelujah!

    >Anyone else care to contribute thoughts on this matter ?

    In my practice, a host that is dead to the world, is alive for IP Spoofing
    =)  What I have found that seems to help all in all (**MY opinion follows,
    it is MINE and I do not take any responsibilty for what YOU do with it**) is
    to DROP most ports. TCP-RST A few of the common ports I dont use (53, 8080,
    ect), and Only allow ICMP-PING .

    Yes it lets a Scanner know there is something there, because there is, and
    regardless of what you do to hide a machine, Its still there.  It helps to
    prevent spoofing that way, and an attacker is going to know there is a
    firewall there.  Think about it, if an attacker doesnt get in on its own, or
    easily (worms, automated root-kits, ect) and they really want to get in,
    they arent the normall Script-Kiddie that bounces off my firewalls everyday.
    I guarentee you they will know you are running a firewall regardless what
    you do. So who are you hiding it from?

    Sal